Group Benefits – also called Employee Benefits
Offering employer sponsored benefits to employees as a group is a common practice among many Canadian businesses. Companies do this for several reasons such as being able to attract talented people and to increase the morale of their workforce.
- Group auto and property insurance
- Registered pension plans
- Group RRSP (read about RRSPs)
- Group disability insurance (read about short and long term disability insurance)
- Group life insurance (read about life insurance)
- Accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D)
- Health benefits -medical, dental, extended healthcare, vision (read about health benefits)
Group benefits / employee benefits is a win-win for both the employer and employee – the employer can deduct the cost as a business expense and the employee receives the benefits tax free.
There is no ‘one size fits all’ in terms of a group or employee benefit plan. What each plan includes depends on the number of employees in the group, the objectives of the employer, and the cost.
To maximize the value to the employer we suggest discussing your needs and goals with an experienced group insurance broker/agent – to get started, call Jacqui McFarlane.
If you’re not sure if a group benefit plan is the best option for your business consider offering your employees and their families a Personal Health Spending Plan, also called a Health Spending Account.